Negotiation and win-win problem solving
Any negotiation should aim for commitment to, and not compliance with, the outcomes.
Negotiation is what happens between parties who cannot use their hierarchical power to force an outcome – and what makes negotiation less stressful and more effective is that it should be more than simply bargaining, power-play, and compromise.
Our negotiation principles
- Having a clear mutual purpose is essential
- More is achieved by talking with, not to, the other party
- People negotiate better if we all listen to understand, not to contradict
- Finding common ground is possible and will mean an all-gain outcome that everyone can commit to
- Joint problem solving is the heart of a good negotiation.
The conflict management course was thought provoking and applicable to very many situations with very useful theory and practice. The trainer was very engaging, an excellent facilitator, related well to the group, had an excellent personality and made the training interesting and a positive learning experience.
This conflict management training was far and away the best training I have had on the subject and some of the best training that I have had in my 10 years with Sue Ryder. I recommend that it is seen as a priority for all managers as the course was relevant to anyone who manages people or finds that they need to mediate between people.
Our front-line housing staff regularly face challenging and potentially threatening situations. We engaged CMP to equip our staff with appropriate skills to meet these challenges and defuse threatening situations. Their professional approach and participative style have always been well-received and have contributed to the first-class customer service we aim to deliver.
I have no hesitation in recommending CMP, they offer excellent value for money and provide a service that is second to none! CMP provides a complete and professional service. From initial enquiry through administration and delivery, CMP covers all the bases. They are knowledgeable, professional and approachable and found flexible solutions to our training requirements. The feedback for the training has been outstanding. In addition to a collection of superlatives such as “fantastic” “inspiring” and “excellent” staff have stated that they came away with practical advice they can apply in real situations and, more to the point, have said it works!
A very informative and useful course that should be part of core management training.
CMP delivered intensive bespoke conflict management training to 200 managers, to achieve a significant boost to managers’ confidence and skills in managing transition during a time of change, and contributing significantly to achieving the organisational goal of preventing and managing bullying and harassment. CMP listened to our needs and worked with us to develop a course that satisfied our requirements.
Informative, thought provoking and inclusive…Good delivery honest, grown up attitude. I liked the trainer’s style!
This course gave me really good skills that will enable me to perform my day to day role with a new attitude to dealing with conflict.
By the end of the training, people will:
- Feel more confident about negotiating with colleagues
- Be able to encourage people to express their underlying fears, concerns and needs
- Have tools which help them reach positive outcomes with others
- Have the skills to challenge inappropriate behaviour constructively
- Gain commitment to agreements, not merely compliance
- Describe the role trust plays in getting agreement from others
- Be able to effectively respond to resistances in others
- Effectively apply appropriate communication skills e.g. questioning, listening influencing, persuading, and negotiating
Download the full programme by completing this form