Negotiation and win-win problem solving
Any negotiation should aim for commitment to, and not compliance with, the outcomes.
Negotiation is what happens between parties who cannot use their hierarchical power to force an outcome – and what makes negotiation less stressful and more effective is that it should be more than simply bargaining, power-play, and compromise.
Our negotiation principles
- Having a clear mutual purpose is essential
- More is achieved by talking with, not to, the other party
- People negotiate better if we all listen to understand, not to contradict
- Finding common ground is possible and will mean an all-gain outcome that everyone can commit to
- Joint problem solving is the heart of a good negotiation.
Our front-line housing staff regularly face challenging and potentially threatening situations. We engaged CMP to equip our staff with appropriate skills to meet these challenges and defuse threatening situations. Their professional approach and participative style have always been well-received and have contributed to the first-class customer service we aim to deliver.
This conflict management training was far and away the best training I have had on the subject and some of the best training that I have had in my 10 years with Sue Ryder. I recommend that it is seen as a priority for all managers as the course was relevant to anyone who manages people or finds that they need to mediate between people.
The facilitation for HR training was excellent both in terms of the content and the trainer who was professional and very knowledgeable. Some aspects of the training were specifically tailored to meet our particular needs and the learner feedback was extremely positive.
This course gave me really good skills that will enable me to perform my day to day role with a new attitude to dealing with conflict.
Opened up a new way of viewing conflict at work and in everyday life.
I have no hesitation in recommending CMP, they offer excellent value for money and provide a service that is second to none! CMP provides a complete and professional service. From initial enquiry through administration and delivery, CMP covers all the bases. They are knowledgeable, professional and approachable and found flexible solutions to our training requirements. The feedback for the training has been outstanding. In addition to a collection of superlatives such as “fantastic” “inspiring” and “excellent” staff have stated that they came away with practical advice they can apply in real situations and, more to the point, have said it works!
CMP created a bespoke a 3 hour workshop on Managing Conversations for us. The session was to get staff to think about conflicts and why they arise and then to provide them with some skills on communicating effectively and build confidence in being assertive in challenging difficult behaviour. Staff were thrilled about the workshop and the skills that they were able to develop in this time.
Informative, thought provoking and inclusive…Good delivery honest, grown up attitude. I liked the trainer’s style!
By the end of the training, people will:
- Feel more confident about negotiating with colleagues
- Be able to encourage people to express their underlying fears, concerns and needs
- Have tools which help them reach positive outcomes with others
- Have the skills to challenge inappropriate behaviour constructively
- Gain commitment to agreements, not merely compliance
- Describe the role trust plays in getting agreement from others
- Be able to effectively respond to resistances in others
- Effectively apply appropriate communication skills e.g. questioning, listening influencing, persuading, and negotiating
Download the full programme by completing this form