Negotiation and win-win problem solving
Any negotiation should aim for commitment to, and not compliance with, the outcomes.
Negotiation is what happens between parties who cannot use their hierarchical power to force an outcome – and what makes negotiation less stressful and more effective is that it should be more than simply bargaining, power-play, and compromise.
Our negotiation principles
- Having a clear mutual purpose is essential
- More is achieved by talking with, not to, the other party
- People negotiate better if we all listen to understand, not to contradict
- Finding common ground is possible and will mean an all-gain outcome that everyone can commit to
- Joint problem solving is the heart of a good negotiation.
The practitioner clearly had both a great depth of knowledge and augmented this with a wealth of experience. This resulted in a very rich syllabus and maximised my learning. I found their delivery style confident and respectful of the students. The draft report the practitioner provided is a usable template that I think will enable me to conduct an investigation and most importantly produce a legally robust document. This is why I would put this course in my top three for quality of education.
The facilitation for HR training was excellent both in terms of the content and the trainer who was professional and very knowledgeable. Some aspects of the training were specifically tailored to meet our particular needs and the learner feedback was extremely positive.
CMP delivered intensive bespoke conflict management training to 200 managers, to achieve a significant boost to managers’ confidence and skills in managing transition during a time of change, and contributing significantly to achieving the organisational goal of preventing and managing bullying and harassment. CMP listened to our needs and worked with us to develop a course that satisfied our requirements.
I have no hesitation in recommending CMP, they offer excellent value for money and provide a service that is second to none! CMP provides a complete and professional service. From initial enquiry through administration and delivery, CMP covers all the bases. They are knowledgeable, professional and approachable and found flexible solutions to our training requirements. The feedback for the training has been outstanding. In addition to a collection of superlatives such as “fantastic” “inspiring” and “excellent” staff have stated that they came away with practical advice they can apply in real situations and, more to the point, have said it works!
The trainer was really dynamic and engaging, the conflict management training was relevant, interesting with practical examples.
A very informative and useful course that should be part of core management training.
Informative, thought provoking and inclusive…Good delivery honest, grown up attitude. I liked the trainer’s style!
This course gave me really good skills that will enable me to perform my day to day role with a new attitude to dealing with conflict.
By the end of the training, people will:
- Feel more confident about negotiating with colleagues
- Be able to encourage people to express their underlying fears, concerns and needs
- Have tools which help them reach positive outcomes with others
- Have the skills to challenge inappropriate behaviour constructively
- Gain commitment to agreements, not merely compliance
- Describe the role trust plays in getting agreement from others
- Be able to effectively respond to resistances in others
- Effectively apply appropriate communication skills e.g. questioning, listening influencing, persuading, and negotiating
Download the full programme by completing this form