Referring a conflict to an independent mediator
Our professional workplace mediators get over 300 employees a year back to a better working relationship every. With a 95% mediation success rate and most mediations completed in a day, it makes sense to use the UK’s mediation experts to resolve conflict at work.
We’re so successful because, unlike other providers who will offer you a mediator with a minimum of 5 cases under their belt, CMP mediators have at least 5 years‘ experience of full-on, paid-for mediation.
That’s years of finding their way through the challenges of different workplaces, each with its unique culture and pressures; years of honing their skills so they can work with every type of person and conflict.
And because of this experience, we offer a more flexible and varied mediation approach than any other provider, and can offer you the right mediation model for the dispute and the parties. This includes virtual mediation, which is ideal when geography gets in the way of people meeting.
If you are considering bringing in an independent mediator, the likelihood is that the dispute you are dealing with has been resistant to internal attempts to resolve it, may involve senior individuals or be particularly sensitive for other reasons or may benefit from the services of a demonstrably ‘objective’ outsider who has no axe to grind or position to maintain.
What to look for in a workplace mediator
People fall out over a huge range of issues, and mediators, like any other professionals, specialise in different aspects of their trade. It is not necessary for a mediator to be familiar with your organisation but they will need to be credible with the parties they engage with. Workplace mediators talk a very different language to family or Civil mediators, and work in a different way to those mediators, so ensure you have the right type of mediator for the conflict.
Whoever you choose, a workplace mediator will need to be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in mediation through accredited training, ongoing professional development, client testimonials and mediation track record
- Establish an empathetic relationship quickly with you, and with the parties
- Talk through similar situations that they have previously encountered
- Provide you with information for the parties and for yourself in how to set up a mediation and what to expect from mediation
- Respond to your timeframes – available when you need them
The mediator was excellent in getting us to talk to each other about things that were really hard to go through. I don’t know what she did, but it was very like magic.
I was incredibly impressed by the perseverance and calmness of my mediator in what must have been a particularly taxing situation. Without their interventions we would still be at logger heads. Rather my surprise, I would wholeheartedly recommend mediation to colleagues.
This neutral assessment service has been very effective and what has been particularly good is the tailored support from CMP. This project has achieved what we wanted and also provided us with a clearer picture of the wider issues so that HR can better support the team going forwards.
The mediation process resolved a very complex and emotional situation for those involved, with great success.
The mediator was excellent. This has achieved our objectives of getting clarity from the parties and a clear commitment for a way forward. This complex and difficult situation has been expertly handled by CMP and we would not hesitate to use them in the future.
It was very helpful to have someone there in the mediation to calm things down. Having met her first meant I understood what was going to happen so felt more confident. Things are much better at work. Thank you.
My sessions were very helpful to me, particularly as the mediator has an easy manner and good sense of humour, which facilitated open discussion. They enabled me to explore sensitive issues in an objective but supportive environment and consider how I might do things better.
Very empathetic and a good listener. So good to have someone to talk to.
The mediator did an excellent job. The Guidance Notes for Employers and the Information for Parties documents which were sent to me were excellent. I have spoken to both the main individuals involved since the mediation took place and both have independently said that before starting the process they thought that there was no way that this problem could be resolved.
CMP understood what was needed and using mediation were able to ‘unblock’ in a day a working relationship that had been difficult for some time. This was a very worthwhile investment. Since the mediation took place, no more HR time has needed to be spent on this case and the parties have a better understanding of each other’s motivations.
Why choose CMP Resolutions for your mediation
- Expert mediators. If someone says they’ve done fewer than 50 mediations, they’re probably not up to the challenge. The types of cases you want to refer will be the tough ones, so you can’t afford to use a novices.
- Get the right mediation for your situation. Chose from 5 models including virtual mediation
- Anticipate success. 95% of our mediation cases are successful
- Save money. Flexible rates with no compromise on quality
- Pre and post mediation support. Get 12 months phone and email support for every party, including post mediation hints and tips leaflet
- Get to resolution fast. We can be on site within 24 hours and complete a typical mediation in one day
- Save time in the future. 92% of resolutions are still in place 3 months later
- Get objective feedback. We tell you if your organisation can improve its conflict management processes
- Fully evaluated. 360° evaluation of parties, practitioner and your views are brought together in a full report
Download this paper which will take you through:
- whether mediation is the right choice
- is the conflict suitable
- how to select the right mediator and the key qualities to look for
- how to encourage parties to participate
- the practicalities of a setting up a mediation and the key things to consider when setting up a mediation
This paper gives you a checklist that helps you decide whether mediation is the right way forward.